I’ve been using this recipe for years to make dinner for my family, and found it easy to adapt to feed a large crowd of hungry guests. This dish can be prepared in less than an hour, making it great option for nourishing your community on a busy week night.
EASY FETTUCCINE ALFREDO (serves 16 people)
- 1 Cup butter, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 Cup flour
- 4-12 oz cans evaporated milk
- 3 Cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
- 6 Cups rotisserie chicken, julienned into large chunks
- 16 strips of thick sliced bacon
- 2 Cups frozen peas
- 4 pounds of fettuccine
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook fettuccine according to package directions, stirring often to keep it from clumping. Drain. Return to pot and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter to keep it from sticking until the sauce is ready.
- Heat oven to 400. Line 2 rimmed baking pans with foil. Lay 8 strips of bacon on each pan. Don’t crowd the pan, the bacon will crisp better if there is a little space between each strip. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Checking frequently near the end of the cooking time. Remove from oven when it’s sizzling, evenly browned, and crispy on the edges. Let bacon cool for 5 minutes, and then use tongs to remove onto a paper towel lined plate to drain. If you let the bacon cool too long on the pan it will stick and be hard to remove. (Bonus tip: hide cooked bacon in the microwave until you are ready to put it into the pasta so that your family doesn’t eat it while you preparing the rest of this dish.) Once completely cooled, crumble bacon.
- In a large pot, on medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour, stirring with a whisk and cook for 1 minute or until bubbly.
- Pour milk into pot in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Stir and heat until warmed through.
- Add grated cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add peas. Stir until heated.
- Add parsley and stir until combined.
- Add sauce to pasta. Toss several times to coat evenly.
- Add julienned chicken and bacon to pasta. Toss again to coat.
I served this dish with a simple salad (fresh greens with chopped cucumber, carrots, and red bell pepper – tossed with a vinaigrette) and a bowl of fresh berries.