This is one of my favorite appetizers to make for any celebration because it is both elegant and richly satisfying.
This dish also meets my criteria to be deemed a “go-to” recipe:
The ingredients can be multiplied proportionally to prepare enough of this appetizer to feed a crowd of any size. Just know that no matter how many you make, there will not be any leftovers!
BACON-WRAPPED STUFFED DATES
- 16 oz pitted dates
- 8 oz crumbled, blue-cheese
- 16 oz package of bacon, strips cut in half
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Cover rimmed baking sheet with foil, and place an oven-safe baking rack in prepared baking sheet. Spray generously with cooking spray for easy clean-up.
- Make a long slice in the top of each date. Open slit and stuff each date with a few large crumbles of blue-cheese.
- Close up each date, and wrap with a half strip of bacon.
- Place seam side down on baking rack. Use a toothpick to hold closed if it doesn’t stay sealed on it’s own.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Baste bacon-wrapped dates with pure maple syrup.
- Rotate pan and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and baste a second time with more maple syrup.
- Sprinkle with cayenne pepper according to taste.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving. They are extremely hot.